Montserrat Monasteries Tour with Brunch, Barcelona
From: 89,00 €
We offer you a privileged visit to the mountain of Montserrat. During the first part of the tour we will make a guided visit to know the history of the place, and we will visit the interior of the Monastery and the Church, where the famous virgin “La Moreneta” is located. It includes the entrance to the audiovisual space and a tasting of typical liquors. Then we will go to the old monastery of Santa Cecilia, where we will make a visit with audio guide. After the visit we will serve a brunch of local products accompanied by wine and cava.
- Air conditioned luxury micro-bus.
- English guide all the tour.
- Radio guide system.
- Taste of 4 typical liquors handmade by the monks of the Royal Basilica of Montserrat.
- Entrance to the audiovisual exhibition in Royal Basilica of Montserrat “Espai Audiovisual Montserrat”.
- Entrance and audio- guided visit to Santa Cecilia Church.
- Brunch at Santa Cecilia Church composed by: local products such cold meats, cheeses and dessert paired with one cup of white wine, one cup of red wine and one cup of cava, typical sparkling wine of Catalonia.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off.
- Other services not specified.
- Adults: 89 €/each
- Children (4-12 y.o.): 68 €/each
- Infants (0-3 y.o.): Free
We offer you the chance to visit the Montserrat Mountain early in the morning. We will visit two of the most important monasteries in the mountain: the Benedictine monastery of Santa Maria and the ancient monastery of Santa Cecilia.
Montserrat is a rocky mountain located 50 km to the southwest of Barcelona. It is considered the most significant and important mountain of Catalonia. The etymology of Montserrat comes from Catalan Mont (mountain) and serrat (serrated). The mountain receives its name for its peculiar morphology. In 1987 Montserrat was declared a Natural Park to ensure its conservation. The highest peak is called Sant Jeroni (Saint Jerome) and stands at 1,236 meters above sea level.
The importance of this mountain is due to the legend of the miraculous appearance of the Madonna and Child in one of the caves. This cave received the name Santa Cova (The Saint Cave). To this day the wood carving of the Madonna and Child are kept in the Church of the monastery and it is possible to visit it. This image of the Madonna is popularly known as La Moreneta (The Black Madonna) for its dark color. The color is the result of a reaction caused by varnish. La Moreneta´s holiday is on April 27th.
Due to the legend of the Madonna, the mountain has been linked with spirituality. Besides the main monastery of Santa María de Montserrat, there is a great number of small churches and chapels, some of them abandoned. The main monastery stands at 720 meters above sea level. Nowadays there is a community of 80 monks that live there and follow the rule of Saint Benedict.
During the first part of the tour you will enjoy an introduction to the history of the monastery. Once the guided tour has ended, you will have free time to enjoy de fabulous land scape by yourself, to visit the local food market, to visit de audiovisual exhibition and to taste some typical liqueurs.
At the fixed time we will take the bus for going to the ancient monastery of Santa Cecilia, located in a privileged and peaceful place on a natural terrace that offers extraordinary views of the emblematic cliffs of Montserrat. You will enjoy an audio- guided visit of Santa Cecilia church, built in Romanesque style. The interior has been object of an artistic intervention of the Irish painter Sean Scully. His work makes Santa Cecilia one of the most outstanding sites in the world because of its magnificent fusion of Christianity and avant-garde art. After the visit a local brunch paired with wines will be served.
- Exclusive tour only English guide.
- Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
- Please be aware that some walking is included in this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
- At Montserrat there is a mountains climate, depending on the season you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold.
- Please remember to request a change in the usual menu due to food intolerances or other reason when making your reservation and wait for the answer. If you do not notify us in advance, the company is not responsible for not being able to serve you an alternative menu.